[ale] Wireless/where's the archive?

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Wed Nov 8 18:39:11 EST 2000

Joe Knapka writes:

 > Is anyone using the Lucent Orinoco 802.11b wireless network
 > cards under Linux? How about the Orinoco "residential gateway"
 > access point? I want to let my NT laptop talk wirelessly to
 > my existing wired network, and continue using the Linux masq
 > firewall for Internet access. I've heard bad things about
 > the Orinoco access point though, so I'm considering buying
 > a pair of PCMCIA cards and using an ISA<-->PCMCIA adapter to
 > shoehorn one of them into the firewall. Anyone tried something
 > like that? Any recommendations for alternatives?

Here's what I have at home:

My cable modem connects to my linksys masquerading router with built
in 4 port hub.  The hub connects (via nullmodem ethernet cable because
the uplink port is already in use) to the orinoco ethernet/wavelan
converter which has a orinoco pcmcia card in it.  This is in my study.

In my living room I have a the converter/pcmcia combo plugged in to my
zapstation which is really just a linux box with an 10/100 ethernet
port.

I forget the option name, but there are two configurations for the
orinocos and I'm using the non-default one.  I think they call it an
"ad-hoc" network setup.  The zapstation now runs DHCP which gets an IP
address from the LinkSys router.  It is speedy and fast and protected
behind the linksys firewall.  I think it would work just as well
behind a linux router.

I haven't yet put the orinoco in my laptop.  Or rather, I did but
couldn't figure out how to make it work in a half hour.  I know people
who use them.

Hope that helps,