[ale] Password changes

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Wed Nov 8 16:01:26 EST 2000

I'm sure there is a better way, and that somebody will bring it
up.

You may choose to reboot either to single user (RH default of linux 1 or
some such), or boot from a rescue floppy. Of course, if the system was set
up by the properly paranoid, you may have to persuade the computer to
forget a password protecting the bios.

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Carl Forsell wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I have a Redhat 6.2 server that the password was forgotten.  I logged in as
> another user, did a sudo bash and reset the root password (passwd root).
>
> When I rebooted, I tried to login as root and the password had not changed.
> I repeated this several time with the same result.  I eddited the passwd
> file to remove the root passwd and was not able to log in as root without
> the password.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance...

The harder I work, the luckier I get.