[ale] Optimal Name Resolution Setup in Mixed Environment

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Nov 8 14:03:21 EST 2000

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Can anyone wax knowledgeable on what the preferred arrangement is w.r.t.
> WINS/DNS in a mixed Windows/Linux environment?

Here's what we do.  Our DNS is on Linux.  WINS is on the NT PDC.  Any
static IP address should have a DNS entry, however, in the past, our NT
guy was very lazy or ms centric or something, so lots of the NT servers
did not end up in the DNS, because "wins will take care of it".  While
this is true, it was also a pain from non-windows machine.

As for desktops, they get their ip's via dhcp, complete with wins and dns
servers filled in.

> Is it possible/preferable to lead a WINS-less existence in such an
> environment?

You could if no-one cared about peer-to-peer sharing.  But if they want to
share their harddrives to other uses, wins is almost surely needed.  Then
again, I don't think I've ever tried it without a wins server, either on
nt or linux.

Regardless of if your DNS server is on nt or linux, I don't see why they
wouldn't want to put those ips in the dns.  In fact, if they are that set
on it, why even have a DNS server (probably for external coming in).