[ale] OT: Silicon Valley cost of living?

Prasanna P Subash psubash at turbolinux.com
Tue Nov 7 20:42:39 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 07, 2000 at 03:38:00PM -0800, Fulton Green wrote:
> NOTE: if you're in the Bay area / Silicon Valley region, or have lived
> there in the past three years, and have also recently lived in the Atlanta
> metro area, this is esp. for you ...
>
> OK, so through some twist of fate, I'm beginning to get various and sundried
> (or is that sun-dried?) emails from headhunters claiming a 408 area code
> (San Jose', that is) for jobs out in the region. Now, I'll say upfront that
> I'm not totally opposed to moving out to S.V. But the major concern I have
> has to do with cost-of-living expenses. I was looking at Craig's List
> (www.craigslist.org) and the best I can tell, a typical 1BR goes for at least
> $1500/mo. Based on that alone, it looks as if I'd have to slap on an extra
> 50% to what I make now just to break even on housing. But then you throw in
> more expensive gas, higher tax rates, etc., and ...

Having moved to the bayarea from Atlanta, i could rant about this for a while...
u'r right about the 1br. it could be anywhere b/w 1.5k to 2.2k. I live in a 3br and
it costs around 2.5k. Also gas, octane-87 - costs around 2 bucks. Commute could suck
depending on where you stay. 75/85/285 driving was SO much better comparitively. Yep
taxes are high, and I havent found a good farmers market yet.

> I guess what I'm asking is, what's a good rule of thumb as far as how much
> extra to ask for money-wise? Do I take what I'm making now and multiply by
> 1.75? Or do I just add $60K to it? Or could someone point me to some
> resources other than www.RealRates.com or www.HomeFair.com where I can find
> some of this out?

U'll save as much as you saved in ATL if you make +12-15K per annum here.