[ale] DNS trics

Martin Modahl mmodahl at resnet.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 7 16:42:02 EST 2000

> (~)[134]$ cat /etc/namedb/named.SOA
> $TTL 86400              ; Minimum TTL 1 day
> ;
> @       IN      SOA     ns1.domain.com. mybox.domain.com. (
>                 2000102401      ; serial
>                 1800    ; Refresh after 30mins
>                 1800    ; Retry after 30mins
>                 1800 )  ; Expire after 30mins
>

> He needs it so that his info in DNS for people who look him up expires
> after 15-30 mins.  He doesn't get alot of trafic but his dialin
> goes crazy some days.  This looks right, but before it's unleashed
> on the net we'd like to make sure.

Only thing that I see is that the first SOA line is being miswritten.
The second fqdn should be an email address of the person in charge of the
server with the @ replaced with a .
like
@       IN      SOA     ns1.domain.com. hostmaster.mybox.domain.com. (

I also believe that you would want to change the $TTL to match the expire. I
see no problem in moving the TTLs that low other that the added strain on
the server and internet.

Martin