[ale] OT: Silicon Valley cost of living?

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Tue Nov 7 18:38:00 EST 2000

NOTE: if you're in the Bay area / Silicon Valley region, or have lived
there in the past three years, and have also recently lived in the Atlanta
metro area, this is esp. for you ...

OK, so through some twist of fate, I'm beginning to get various and sundried
(or is that sun-dried?) emails from headhunters claiming a 408 area code
(San Jose', that is) for jobs out in the region. Now, I'll say upfront that
I'm not totally opposed to moving out to S.V. But the major concern I have
has to do with cost-of-living expenses. I was looking at Craig's List
(www.craigslist.org) and the best I can tell, a typical 1BR goes for at least
$1500/mo. Based on that alone, it looks as if I'd have to slap on an extra
50% to what I make now just to break even on housing. But then you throw in
more expensive gas, higher tax rates, etc., and ...

I guess what I'm asking is, what's a good rule of thumb as far as how much
extra to ask for money-wise? Do I take what I'm making now and multiply by
1.75? Or do I just add $60K to it? Or could someone point me to some
resources other than www.RealRates.com or www.HomeFair.com where I can find
some of this out?

Muchas graci'as,

Fulton Green