[ale] Dial up... uh, no.

Gary Maltzen maltzen at MM.COM
Mon Nov 6 21:32:39 EST 2000

It looks like you have some extraneous text in your command as well as the device and baudrate specified in the wrong order.

I suggest you partition your process into pppd-specific and chat-specific input in the following way:

1) create /etc/ppp/peers/518-7873 containing

   modem 2400 crtscts
   connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/script -T 518-7873'
   defaultroute
   debug
   noauth
   noipdefault
   ipcp-accept-local
   ipcp-accept-remote
   usepeerdns

2) create /etc/ppp/script containing

   ABORT 'BUSY'
   ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
   ABORT "BUSY"
   "" AT
   OK-+++-OK ATDT\T
   CONNECT \c
   name:-name: myname
   word:-word: \qmypass

3) start the connection by saying

   # pppd call 518-7873

4) if that fails, to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets add this line:

   myname * mypass *

5) delete everything after the CONNECT in 'script'

6) try #3 again