[ale] Dial up... uh, no.

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Mon Nov 6 17:50:24 EST 2000

eric innis wrote:

> Ive been working on getting my dialup connection
> working for about a month now, but Im not coplaining
> because it forces me to learn stuff.  However, now I
> am completely stuck now.  Could someone help?
>
> I made a shell program that goes a little like this.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> ppd connect ' /ust/sbin/chat -v "" ATDT5187873 CONNECT
> "" name:-name: myname ssword: mypass onnect: 2400 '
> /dev/modem noipdefault debug modem defaultrout
> ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote logfile surfdebug
> crtscts
>
> It appears to work, I can hear it dialing but it
> immediately disconnects.  Additionally nothing appears
> in my logfile (how convienient). Here is what I get in
> my root mail:
>
> send (ATDT5187873)
> expect (CONNECT)
> ATDT5187873^M^M
> Connect
> --got it
> send (^M)
> expect (name:)
> 9600/ARQ/v32/LAPM/V42BIS^M
> ^M
> Username:
> --got it
> send (myname)
> expect (ssword)
> myname^M
> Password:
> --got it
> send (mypass^M)
> serial connection established
> using interface ppp0
> connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
> Hangup (SIGHUP)
> modem hangup
> connection terminated
> exit
>
> My A.R. ISP may have something to do with it, in
> window$ if you use a terminal to connect it must be
> done like this:
>
> username: (I enter my username and press enter)
> password: (here I type my password and NOT ENTER. If
> I press enter it dumps the connection. Instead I press
> the "continue" button at the bottom of the screen.
> conveniently I dont know what the button does, so I
> cant reproduce it in linux)
>
> can anyone enlighten me as to my error?

Do you have in your /etc/sysconfig/network (if applicable)?
GATEWAYDEV=ppp0

It looks as if you have defaultroute enable up top...

What distribution are you using?

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |
5:45pm up 1 day, 18:09, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00