[ale] Dial up... uh, no.

eric innis transient_earthworm2 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 17:18:24 EST 2000

Ive been working on getting my dialup connection
working for about a month now, but Im not coplaining
because it forces me to learn stuff.  However, now I
am completely stuck now.  Could someone help?

I made a shell program that goes a little like this.

#!/bin/bash
ppd connect ' /ust/sbin/chat -v "" ATDT5187873 CONNECT
"" name:-name: myname ssword: mypass onnect: 2400 '
/dev/modem noipdefault debug modem defaultrout
ipcp-accept-local ipcp-accept-remote logfile surfdebug
crtscts

It appears to work, I can hear it dialing but it
immediately disconnects.  Additionally nothing appears
in my logfile (how convienient). Here is what I get in
my root mail:

send (ATDT5187873)
expect (CONNECT)
ATDT5187873^M^M
Connect
--got it
send (^M)
expect (name:)
9600/ARQ/v32/LAPM/V42BIS^M
^M
Username:
--got it
send (myname)
expect (ssword)
myname^M
Password:
--got it
send (mypass^M)
serial connection established
using interface ppp0
connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
Hangup (SIGHUP)
modem hangup
connection terminated
exit

My A.R. ISP may have something to do with it, in
window$ if you use a terminal to connect it must be
done like this:

username: (I enter my username and press enter)
password: (here I type my password and NOT ENTER. If
I press enter it dumps the connection. Instead I press
the "continue" button at the bottom of the screen.
conveniently I dont know what the button does, so I
cant reproduce it in linux)

can anyone enlighten me as to my error?