[ale] ftape error->"device not configured"

Cor van Dijk cor.angela at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 6 16:39:35 EST 2000

Courtney Thomas wrote:

> Cor van Dijk wrote:
> >
> > Courtney Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings !
> > >
> > > Under RedHat6.1, using a Tecmar Ditto Max Pro parallel port tape drive,
> > > I have installed ftape without incident but when I..........
> > >
> > >         mt -f /dev/qft0 status
> > >
> > > I get.................
> > >
> > >         device not configured
> > >
> > > The configuration instructions are opaque to me.
> > >
> > > Comments from anyone successfully installing a parallel port tape device
> > > using ftape would be most appreciated.
> > >
> > > Courtney
> > > --
> >
> > Hi Courtney,
> > Are you sure this tape drive is a parallel port device? Because "ftape" stands
> > for "floppy tape driver" and is for devices that hang off the floppy drive.
> > Besides, the only ditto tape drive that I am aware off hangs off the floppy
> > drive, but that could be my bias. Try "lsmod" or "/sbin/lsmod" to see which
> > modules are loaded. Cor
>
> Cor,
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> Yes, the Ditto Max parallel port tape drive is now supported by ftape,
> according to the ftape homepage.
>
> Appreciatively,
>
> Courtney

Courtney,
I thought I could help you if it had been a floppy device. Now I have to guess. For
instance, if one hooks up a parallel port  Zip drive, the kernel needs to know about
that. Therefore, I expect that for a tape drive, the kernel needs to know about it
also. Check the kernel configuration. In redhat 6.2  (probably also in 6.1) do "make
menuconfig" (as root) from inside /usr/src/linux. Look for "block devices", then
"parallel port tapes", it probably should be run as a module, so <M>.
Redhat 6.2 has a "kernelcfg" thingie that shows which modules are loaded or
available. You probably want to use that to load the module. Cor.