[ale] Gdm problems

Stephen Lastinger s.lastinger at computernetdesign.com
Sun Nov 5 11:54:34 EST 2000

Douglas,

     My apologies if someone has already answered this for you or if
parts of this are worded slightly askew (what I'm doing answering
technical e-mail first thing on a sun. morn. and before I've has my
first cup of coffee is beyond me : ).

     The error messages you are receiving are symptomatic of a problem
with xfs (x font server).  Usually this occurs if (a) xfs can't find the
fonts specifically defined in the XF86Config file, (b) there is a
bad/corrupt font file that is trying to be accessed, or (c) x can't open
the display for some reason (permissions to xfs's fonts, access rights,
something else, ....need coffee).

     The "quick and dirty" solution (think "quickie" band-aid), is to
remark out the line in your XF86Config file containing:

FontPath "unix/:-1"

making sure you have an additional FontPath entries that point to where
fonts are stored on the machine.  Multiple FontPath entries may be
specified, and they will be concatenated to build up the font­path used
by the server. (see: man XF86Config)

     Also if you have moved to XFree86 4.x, the aforementioned FontPath
entry has been changed to "unix/:7100".

     I haven't used helix update, does it move to XFree86 4.x ?  It is
conceivable that you may have some mismatched parts...from your previous
version and your current one.

     Another thing to check is if there is a mismatch between the
FontPath statements in /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs.
These must match or X will not have to access to xfs's fonts, and will
abort if no fonts are available.

Hope this helps,
-Stephen

Stephen Lastinger	 - s.lastinger at computernetdesign.com