[ale] speaking of tapes and drives...

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Sat Nov 4 07:33:45 EST 2000

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:

> I am using taper to manage an IDE HP travan 16 gig drive.  Is there
> something better?  I have not seen any software that advertizes that
> it will manage an ide hp tape drive.

I have always managed to scrounge up SCSI tape drives of this format or
that, and they have always worked well.  You might want to see if there is
a computer junk dealer near by (as there is in my case--in Schenectady,
NY) that might sell you a SCSI controller and tape drive cheap.  Mine ran
me $20 for both, that being a 2.3G 8mm drive.

If you can get a cheap SCSI card, you might want to spring the extra $$ to
get an up-to-date tape drive in a SCSI interface, at least a DDS-3 or
Travan format so you don't need as many tapes, as my system described
above requires 5 tapes to back up.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
142 days is too long to wait for Telocity and Verizon to hook up my DSL.