[ale] ipchains caching?

Stephen Pellicer spellicer at 8thlayer.net
Fri Nov 3 01:52:04 EST 2000

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 09:46:42PM -0700, Cade Thacker wrote:
> has anybody had any experience with ipchains caching sites and ip addrs?
> I am currently runing RH 6.2 on a pentium 75 serving my dsl to a couple of
> boxes and I get some WEIRD stuff.  I espically get weird things with
> forms.  I was building a form out on the web and when ever I would save
> and then refresh my browser it would look all messed up.  I am also

I can't see ipchains caching the site. It doesn't really have that
facility. It might be getting confused and messing up your connection
forcing your browser to reload its cached page. As far as ipchains
causing the box to cache, I just don't think it has any place to store
the pages. Are you masquerading with ipchains?

> having trouble with it caching IP addrs.  I am moving my domain to a
> different company, but I am getting all sorts of weird stuff(like I telnet
> to one site(computerreligion.com) and my firewall/router sends me to a
> login on cade.org?  Just really weird.  Any thougts?  Now I can't telnet
> to computerreligion.com, i must type in www.computerreligion.com.

Again, ipchains doesn't really have this facility. Once name lookup is
done, ipchains just sees addresses. You mention moving providers with
your domain. It may be possible that your nameservers are caching the
old addresses which have been reallocated to cade.org. Are you
changing providers from web2010 to creative-webs? That seems to be
where the two are housed. You also mention not being able to telnet to
computerreligion.com. Name service seems to show only the
www.computerreligion.com name registered. You can talk to your name
server administrator about also putting in computerreligion.com as an
A record. That's wierd. I just saw the record bounce to cwihosting as
a name server. I'd chalk it up to name servers refreshing. DNS is not
a prefect system but it's the best we've got.

Hope this helps a little,
Stephen