[ale] masq and sendmail

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Wed Nov 1 08:13:00 EST 2000

I've had my little firewall setup running for a while, apparently
successfully, at least I thought so.  Basically, I have a primary
firewall machine that connects to the internet that does
masq/forwarding.  I have a dmz network separated from an internal
network by a choke firewall machine that also does masq/forwarding.  For
a lack of a better name, my internal subnet is 'home.edu.' ;)  Anyway,
I've been using this configuration for a while very successfully.  Just
recently, I've had some email to a particular list bounce because it
claims it can not authenticate denali.home.edu.  This is my machine that
is on my internal network and the home.edu network should not be seen
outside.  Now, the only thing I've changed recently is I've upgraded
Netscape, which I use for my mailer.

I recently sent a test email message to my work address so I could view
the actual mail headers.  denali.home.edu does in fact show up in the
headers, which I did not expect.  But, they don't appear as the
'sending' machine.  So, it appears that this list is running through the
headers and verifying every domain that it finds.

A couple of questions.  First off, should the home.edu domain be showing
up in these headers as it is, when I'm masqing all this stuff?  I am
using sendmail on the denali.home.edu machine, is this the problem?

Although I've changed the mail corporate mail server names (you know how
that goes) and ip address, here is a short excerpt of the email header:

>From - Wed Nov  1 09:07:02 2000

with SMTP (Microsoft Exchange Internet Mail Service Version 5.5.2652.39)
    id VPV6ZDV2; Mon, 30 Oct 2000 15:30:39 -0600
(8.8.8+Sun/ATTEMS-1.4.1 sol2)
    id QAA15436; Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:29:25 -0500 (EST)

    by zzzz.zzz.att.com (AT&T IPNS/MSI-2.2) with ESMTP id QAA29605
    for <gamyers at att.com>; Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:29:45 -0500 (EST)
Sender: esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The
hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence."
- Albert Einstein