[ale] VMWare 2.0 rocks

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Jun 29 11:44:07 EDT 2000

Cleveland -

I was aware of the NT Terminal Server option.  I researched the product
quite a bit way before it came out and I worked out the client-side
configuration of a NTTSE-based app at my previous employer, so I got some
hands-on time with it then.

The thing is, I really don't want to go that route.  MS wound up turning the
product into its own "version" of NT (The official name IIRC is "Microsoft
Windows NT Terminal Server Edition")  I'd probably be the first person to
try to run the content mgt sw we're using under NTTSE.  Whereas I am
intrigued by the MetaFrame/ICAClient solution you're using and I find that
very attractive, I'm simultaneously put off by having to go to a different
"Edition" of NT and add on more third-party software in order to gain a
certain level/degree of support capability.

The key word there is "support."  When I first evaluated NTTSE a few years
back, I realized that, economically speaking, there was a certain regime you
needed to be within for the product to make sense.  I'd characterize that
regime roughly as follows:  LOTS of weak client machines, efficient and fast
networking, big 32-bit client app, easier to spend lots of money on single
capital purchases than widespread initiatives, limited manpower.  I have a
hard time with the idea of popping for NTTSE solely for *non-user purposes*.
NTTSE, in my mind, was something that gave eight-way Xeons a reason to exist
- so you could support a few hundred instances of a client app running at
once.

- Jeff