[ale] Upgrade Time

Douglas Bridges doug_bridges at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 28 20:20:28 EDT 2000

Well, it is upgrade time, so I have a couple of questions that I was hoping
could be answered.

First, does anyone have a good suggestion for a laptop that costs $3000 or
less, runs Linux well, and uses a Trackpoint(eraser head thing). I am
heading off to law school in the fall and I need a good laptop to use.

Second, I am upgrading my desktop, and I would like to add a new harddrive.
It currently has two scsi harddrives hanging off an adaptec 2940UW on an
Intel LX motherboard. I would like to add an IDE drive. Unfortunately, I am
running a M$ OS(2k) on the primary scsi drive right now. If I add the IDE
drive to my box, will my drive letters get screwed? I plan to partition the
IDE so that the first couple of gig are Linux and the rest is visible for my
winblows installation.

Next, what are peoples experiences with Corel Linux. Costco is selling the
deluxe edition(with Civ:CTP and WP 9) for $24.99. I will be using the
installation as both a client and a server box.

Lastly, I about to put a digital flat screen on my desktop, and I was
wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good video card that has digital
output and works under X. I am not wanting to break the bank on the video
card either.

Thanks for all the help,
Doug