[ale] Re: Us [sic] Old Fossils :)

John Mills jmills at tga.com
Wed Jun 28 18:17:24 EDT 2000

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> Oops...  forgot about those...  :)
> Did ASR33s run at 50?  I messed with those w/paper-tape too...
> I guess we tie...  :)

My experience with '33s was 10 cps ASCII, or 110 baud. The baudot model
(presumably the ASR-32) I believe ran at 50 baud. I encountered this while
writing a driver for INMARSAT terminals (c.1983), which service had (and
probably still has) a baudot TTY channel. I added baudot <-> ASCII
conversion in order to use [relatively] cheap ASCII displays in place of
baudot TTYs which were obsolescent[!], therefore rare and expensive.

(My OldFossil credentials actually go considerably further back: fire had
 just been discovered and we were going into serious development work on
 pointed sticks. There were a few computers along the way, too. &P-)X-

   John Mills
   Sr. Software Engineer
   TGA Technologies, Inc.
   100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140