[ale] Exiting multi-block shell scripts

Danny Cox danny at compgen.com
Wed Jun 28 08:39:07 EDT 2000

Kenneth,

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> Whoops...  Late-night lack of clear question-asking...  :)  :/
>
> I tried "exit."  :)
>
> What I Want To Do is be able to control-c out of this thing
> "anywhere." Best I've been able to do so far is that I have to
> ^C twice.  I guess I should also mention that the "do" object(s)
> are series of commands (more specifically, I'm trying to
> quickie-ping an address-range...)

	Try 'trap'.  Syntax is: trap cmd sigs.  For your purpose:

		trap 'exit 0' 1 2 3 15

	Then, when/if the script gets a SIGHUP, SIGINT, SIGQUIT or
SIGTERM, it will execute the 'exit 0'.  There is also a psuedo
signal #0, which means 'on exit'.  I've used this feature many times to
remove temporary files on the above signals, and on exit.  Pretty handy.

Danny