[ale] "Recommended" Partitioning Layout ?

Glenn C. Lasher Jr. critter at wizvax.net
Wed Jun 28 07:04:08 EDT 2000

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Courtney Thomas wrote:

> In more particular, with the present setup, I am getting the message
> when I.....
>
> 	fdisk /dev/hda
>
> 	"partition does not end on cylinder boundary"
>
> Significance ?

The significance was missed by the other responses.  The optimal layout
involves putting the partitionsin such a position that when the heads are
positioned, that all heads are in the same partition and do not pass
in/out of that partition from the  disk spinning.  In other words, all of
the sectors in that track on both sides of all platters needs to be in the
same partition.  To do this, the partitions need to end on a cylinder
boundary.

Simply try zorching and re-creating your partition table and it should be
good.  Short of something going kablooie, fdisk shouldn't let you easily
create partitions that don't meet these criteria.

--
Critter at Wizvax.Net
Don't Steal - The government hates competition.