[ale] MORE MP3 voice removal

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Tue Jun 27 15:21:41 EDT 2000

I should also point out that the TVE and things like it usually could not
render lead vox completely inaudible in most program material, but it could
usually take it down low enough that you could re-record a new vocal track.
Sometimes some reverb from the lead vocal would be partially left behind.
If your source media were vinyl, that didn't help matters either just
because of inaccuracies in the mastering/reproduction process.

I think I have a demo LP (12" transparent blue vinyl, no less!) of the TVE
and other studio equipment form the same mfr in action.  I recall that some
John Denver was among the demonstrated tracks.

If you're going to do this in digital (actually, this will hold true even if
you do it in analog), you will need to carefully tweak the level of the
subtracted channel to maximize the cancellation.  Also, anything else that
was laid down in mono dead-center (perhaps snare drum?) will get nuked along
with lead vox, which may require you to fly an instrument back in somehow if
the absence is bothersome.

Oh, and of course, your result will be in mono.

- Jeff