[ale] hex editing in vim

Ben Phillips pynk at angband.org
Mon Jun 26 01:37:39 EDT 2000

David S. Jackson wrote:

> do you mean vim -b filename?  Or you could go :set binary?  Is
> that what you mean?

No, no.  I mean I was really in a hex editor.  Things appeared in hex on the
left side, and the same things were in ASCII on the right.

On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, Fulton Green wrote:

> In a nutshell, filter your data through the xxd utility.

Well, this is also a neat way to do it (and no, I didn't see it before,
thanks).  But strangely enough, this still isn't the environment I was in.
I was somehow dropped into a *true* hex editor; it appeared much like the
output of xxd, but I could modify values of the hex digits on the left side
and the ASCII digits on the right would change interactively as I did -- and
vice versa.  I think it was at least somewhat colorized, too...  It was
really neat!

Oh, maybe I just hallucinated the whole thing.  (Gotta quit staring into
those X screensavers...)

> On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 03:48:32PM -0400, Ben Phillips wrote:
> > A second ago I hit a wrong key or two in vim, and found myself in a hex
> > editor -- which wasn't at all what I meant to do, but darned if that isn't a
> > neat feature!  Can anyone tell me what I did to invoke that?  I can't
> > remember, and I can't find any mention of it in the help.

                      __   _
Ben Phillips         /  '_' )         ,,,    "Bulls do not win bull fights;
pynk at angband.org     |  | ()|||||||||[:::)    people do.  People do not win
                     \__.-._)         '''     people fights; lawyers do."
                                                   -- Norman Augustine