[ale] OT: Memorex Tech Support

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Tue Jun 20 15:30:51 EDT 2000

Better
get used to it, sad to say.  Many IT product companies are staffing their
support lines with people who are probably adequate for a large percentage of
callers - you know, the ones who are putting their CDs in upside down and that
kind of stuff.
<SPAN
class=520260019-20062000>
I had
a problem of similar gravity with Cybernet (makers of the NetMAX
products).  I won't go into details but the guy I first talked to was
simply not following what I was trying to ask, so I eventually just asked to
speak with someone who had firsthand experience with the product.  I did
speak to the product manager for the NetMAX Firewall, and he arranged for me to
return my Linux version for the FreeBSD version, but I never got what was
supposed to be shipped to me (I'm STILL trying to get NetMAX Firewall to
work).
<SPAN
class=520260019-20062000>
This
is also just a natural consequence of a) proliferation of IT products,
especially at the consumer level b) low unemployment c) non-idiot-proof IT
products (OSses included) d) protection of profit margins.
<SPAN
class=520260019-20062000>
-
Jeff
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Christopher S. Adams
  [mailto:toiletduk at penguinpowered.com]Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2000
  11:57 AMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: [ale] OT: Memorex Tech
  Support
  another thread just reminded me of
  something
  i know this isn't really the place to vent, but i
  figured you should all know

  my cd burner was acting flaky (coastering cd's at
  over 1x and now not successfully burning at all) , so i called memorex tech
  support and explained my situation (this was like 10 minutes before they
  closed).

  the conversation went something like
  this:Memorex Tech: "what operating system are you using?"Me:
  "windows 2000"
  Memorex Tech: "we don't support windows
  2000"Me: "how can you not support it? anyway, i'm running win98 as
  well"
  Memorex Tech: "we don't support dual
  booting"
  Me: "i SERIOUSLY doubt dual booting is causing
  the problem, this is a problem with every cdr program i have installed
  coastering every cd i make at 2x"Memorex Tech: "do you have NTI CD-Maker
  installed?"
  Me: "no, even when my cdr was in top condition, i
  couldn't get a successful burn with that program. i use adaptec easy cd
  creator and cdrwin"
  Memorex Tech: "you'll have to call adaptec for
  assistance on that, sir"Me: "but i stated already that this happens no
  matter what cd recording program i use"Memorex Tech: "i'm sorry, but we
  don't support any other programs besides NT CD-Maker, you'll have to call
  adaptec for assistance. goodbye"
  *click*

  can you believe that?that is the worst
  customer service i've ever dealt with