[ale] Setup & XConfigurator broken in my RedHat system...

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at switchco.com
Tue Jun 13 19:07:52 EDT 2000

Ahh... I knew there was the regular --verify command but I'd only used it when I had the
.rpm package with me. In this case, my install is over ftp and I didn't have the rpms
locally mounted. Turns out that rpm -Va just used the rpm database. So... in the process
of checking files, it ran into actual disk errors (bad spots or sectors) in some of the
files related to my broken stuff. Apparently new installs are just writing over the same
screwed up area so that doesn't help. Is there a program I can run which will scan the
drive (non-destructively) and mark new bad spots so new installs of the files will be
written in valid areas of the drive?

    thanx very much & later,

        Ben Scherrey