[ale] wiring two buildings

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Tue Jun 13 11:49:59 EDT 2000

> Why couldn't you do something simply and put UPS boxes
> on either end of the cable and use them to regulate the
> voltages on the hubs and the line?

That won't help.  UPSses pass the ground through to the system, as well they
should.  UPSses like the APC Back-UPS 500 that offer surge protection for
phone or Ethernet lines (or simple surge protectors for same, which APC also
makes) will intentionally shunt a common voltage to ground if it rises high
enough, but I'd only rely on that for protection if I absolutely had to.