[ale] Wireless?

Byron A Jeff byron at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 13 08:57:15 EDT 2000

> I am using 2 of Nokia's A020 Wireless LAN Access points to span a distance
> of about 350ft between two LANs and get T1 speed for a fraction of the cost.
> Last time I checked they were $749 a piece.
> They are easy to configure...have a built in DHCP server, are OS independent
> (it's just a bridge), and do DNS forwarding if necessary.
> For the price...it's the best out there. I think you can purchase a firmware
> upgrade kit for $99 that will bump them up to 11Mbps. I haven't looked into
> this as I usually average 1.7Mbps.
>
> Jonathan Rickman

Considering the price I'd certainly take a look at the PC Card solutions
first. Webgear Aviator 2.4's have good Linux support (Not sure about the new
AviatorPro line though) and supposedly has that 500 foot range.

Lucent Wavelan's have the ability to attach to an external antenna and
will definitely cover that range. Take a look at http://www.hyperlink.cc
for external antennas

BAJ