[ale] Console Craziness

Martin Modahl martin at mercury.mis-hq.com
Mon Jun 12 11:45:12 EDT 2000

No such luck.

/etc/securetty has all the console terminals listed tty1 - tty8.
/etc/login.defs says nothing specifically allowing or disallowing logins.
/etc/nologin does not exist
/etc/usertty does not exist
/var/log/secure is completly blank

When I ssh into the machine I get these messages in the syslog
sshd[]:	log: Connection from
PAM_pwdb[]: authentication failure; (uid=0) -> root for ssh service
PAM_pwdb[]: (ssh) session opened for user root by (uid=0)
sshd[]: log: Password Authentication for root accepted.
sshd[]: log ROOT LOGIN as 'root' from

That first PAM_pwdb looks odd to me, but I am new using ssh.

Martin Modahl