[ale] Console Craziness

Jay Finch horus at larp.com
Mon Jun 12 11:18:26 EDT 2000

I noticed the same thing on my personal Linux box, and found that the
/etc/securetty didn't have anything listed.  (Or the /etc/login.defs would
allow any logins from the console)

Check those two files -- That should (hopefully) point you in the proper
direction.

Cheers!
Jay

At 08:17 AM 6/12/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Late last night I was forced to reboot a DNS server running Linux 2.2.12
>remotely. I get into the office this morning and tried to hook a keyboard
>up to it and, of course, the keyboard didn't function. I rebooted the box
>again with a monitor and keyboard attached to it so I could do some
>console work. Now from the console whatever login/password combination I
>try gives me a Login Incorrect error, the strange part is that I can still
>ssh in using the same logins. I've tried everything. Caps Locks, Num
>Locks, I've typed all the password letters into the Login: prompt to make
>sure that the letters on the keyboard work. What could it possibly be?
>
>Martin Modahl
>mmodahl at resnet.gatech.edu
>
>--

-----
Jay Finch                       : "Blessed are the geeks, for they shall
(770) 650-0410 (voice)          :  internet the earth."
horus at larp.com          :
pagejay at larp.com (pager)        : "Deja Moo: The feeling that you've
MTBI Survey says: ENFJ  :  heard this BS before."
    Check out my home page at: http://www.photobooks.com/~horus/