[ale] An Open-Source Moment

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Fri Jun 9 14:04:37 EDT 2000

	So I'm in CompUSA and I pick up a copy of the June Linux Magazine
and take it to the counter.  I notice while I'm in line that this issue is
in a wrapper and a CD of Storm Linux is inside.  The guy who rings me up
looks to be in his early to mid 20s.  He looks at the cover of the magazine
for a few seconds and says, "Are you a..." and points to the title.
	"Yes, I am," I cheerily respond.  He then tells me he's read that a
lot of Web servers use it and he asks me if Linux is going to be a big thing
in the future.  I tell him that the future can hold all kinds of things, but
Linux and Apache power a large number of Internet Web sites right now.  I
encouraged him to look into it.  As I started to leave I said, "Wait a
second...this is my magazine now, right?"  I pulled the mag out of the sack,
tore open the wrapper, and handed him the Storm CD that was inside.
	He looked at me in shock.  I said, "Look, I can download this
anytime I want.  Go ahead - see what you can do."  And off I went.