[ale] Big Direv! Where is the space.

Steve Hamlin steve at hamlinX.com
Tue Jun 6 18:49:48 EDT 2000

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Chris Fowler wrote:

> I just purchased a Segate 20.4GB drive and made it ext2 filesystem.  When I
> do 'df -h' I see around 19.2GB.  Where did all my space go.  I am creating
> the FS with 4096 bytes per inode.  Is there somehting else I should be doing
> to get the maximum space allowed/

In addition to the other responses about GB=1,000,000,000, the filesystem
takes up some space, plus reserves some for the super-user.  This
reserved space can help prevent disk crashes when an ext2 partition fills
up, because only root can fill the protected space, not run-away logs or
mail/news spools.

By default 'mke2fs' reserves 5% for the superuser, which on your drive is
around 1GB.  This is a good default value for a root drive, but can be
too much if the new drive is for archive/storage/backups.  Pass mke2fs
the '-m X' option, where X is the percentage of the filesystem you want
to reserve.  See 'man mke2fs'.

Steve