[ale] Big Direv! Where is the space.

Kenneth W Cochran kwc at world.std.com
Mon Jun 5 07:48:10 EDT 2000

If you read The Fine Print, you will see that "GB" in this
context (ie. on the manufacturer's description of your drive) is
"billions of" (10^9) bytes.

In "true computer" context, GB (Gb?, gb?) is really
1,048,576*1024 (2^30), which is 1,073,741,824.

Several years ago, disk drive (& other peripheral?) makers
started advertising/quoting the capacities of their products in
"base-10," with the effect of "inflating" the capacities of
their products.  (Hmmm, marketing-speak?)  All the
reporting/analysis tools I've ever seen in computers use the
binary arithmetic "context" for their calculations/reporting.

Taking this into account, 20.4 * (10^9) / (2^30) = 18 Gb (in
"computer" context).

Additionally, your filesystem "overhead" will take some space,
but I don't know how that figures into the results displayed by,
for example, df.

I would guess you already do have maximum space allocated (or
close to it).

-kc