[ale] Hacking root password...

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Mon Jul 31 08:55:27 EDT 2000

It's funny, this happened to me last night.  I was trying to install
SuSE 6.4 on a laptop I was given (P166--woo hoo!) and somehow the root
password was not what I _knew_ I had entered.  I did have a log in,
but I couldn't get in as root.

Know how RedHat works, I quickly rebooted into runlevel 1 ("linux 1"
at the LILO prompt).  It took me two seconds to realize that in SuSE,
RL1 is *not* the same as single user mode.  So I rebooted in single
user mode ("linux s" at the LILO prompt).

It turns out that SuSE requires a password, even in single user mode!
I had read all the advice on this mailing list, and most of it made
sense to me at the time, but only because I was a redhat user.  SuSE
is quite different--the distribution does matter, folks.

Ultimately I rebooted with the install floppy and chose rescue mode.
Then I mounted the drive and edited out the root password.
Fortunately, I hadn't encrypted the drive.

--Michael