[ale] Mac w/ Linux

Michael B Golden naugrim at juno.com
Fri Jul 28 14:28:59 EDT 2000

Hello all,
        My dad called me from work today to see if I could help him with
a little problem that he was having, but I was unable to help him, so I
am hoping you can. The situation is this: A friend of his at work just
bought a version of linux and installed in on an old PowerPC they have at
the office. I'm not sure what distribution it is or what options were
used during the installation. I do know though that they have kernel
2.2.15 and that it defaulted to the GNOME desktop.

        Okay, the problems are as follows:

1. X resolution:
        I'm not sure that I'd want to try to explain editing the
XF86Config file over the phone and I'm not sure what tools for
configuration come with Mac distributions. Any ideas? Anybody know if
they autodetect?

2. Networking:
        They want to get it onto the network and on to the internet
through the network. They tried to use the netconf program in the GNOME
menu, but ran into a few problems. I fired up netconf over here and the
way they described it makes it appear to be a different netconf. Some
options were different, etc. For example, what is the gateway device? It
asks for gateway address and device. We tried fooling around with that a
little and then trying to ping the router, but no luck. The network was
unreachable. I'm not even sure if he has kernel support for the card or
how to check. So, any suggestions? Remember that this is a Mac, not a PC.

3. Right-click
        As the computer is a Macintosh, the mouse has only one button.
How do we emulate a second button? A third?

As far as he told me these are the only problems currently.

Thanks in advance,
Michael Golden