[ale] rescue disk?

Gary Maltzen maltzen at mm.com
Fri Jul 28 12:43:56 EDT 2000

If you can't find a BIOS upgrade for your system, you'll definitely want to
find a new mobo.

When I first installed a new 36GB drive in my Asus P5AB motherboard system,
the system refused to boot. I finally found a new (beta) flash BIOS that
cured the problem.

The other solution I found was to attach the drive to the second IDE
controller but NOT enable the second controller in BIOS. When Linux comes up
it uses it's own IDE controller routines and will be able to see the drive
in it's entirety. (This presumes you have a bootable drive on the first IDE
controller)

In the meantime, go visit Tom's site (www.toms.net) and get a copy of Tom's
Root/Boot; it is invaluable in emergency situations...