[ale] Using access_logs to get counter info

Patman patman at io.com
Fri Jul 28 09:09:22 EDT 2000

Hi,

Thanks for the grep help, just want I was looking for.  Here's my next
problem which I was hoping someone might give me some pointers in setting
up a photo hits counter:

So is there a perl guru in the house?  I really need help in keeping track
of photo hits on my pages.  This is a little different than just having a
counter on a page that gets bumped up per page access (since loading the
page will execute the counter script).

I have successfully written a very short perl script to do the counting
for the photo hits. I'm using my var/httpd/log/access_log to 'grep' and
count each instance a file from a specific directory gets accessed in
order to get the count of hits, and I pipe that number to a file, and then
I open the file and get the number, close the file, and print the number
as the hit count.  This photo hit counter only gets updated on each page
access.

But since these are access_logs, they get gets reset to zero every week,
and so does my counter too.  I have no idea how to add one week's count
numbers to another counter which is the cumulative total of the past
weeks' photo hits, and then and get it to print on my webpage.  Any ideas?

Is there a way to pipe the last week's final hit total to another counter
text file before the access_log gets reset to zero (my web setup will keep
the last 4 week's of access_logs), and have it as a cumulative total of
all the previous week's worth of hits?

TIA.