[ale] FAQ: I need to fake DOS' kbhit(), getch()

John Mills jmills at tga.com
Thu Jul 27 18:31:22 EDT 2000

Chris and Randy -

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Christopher S. Adams wrote:
> i think getch() is part of ncurses, dunno about kbhit()

> From: "John Mills" <jmills at tga.com>
> > I've inherited a MSWin console application which tests for operator
> > keystroke input while repeatedly calling a service routine, then exits on
> > a keystroke.

Thanks for the code and library suggestions. 'man' pages also pointed me
at 'vgakeyboard', 'svgalib' and sibs. These are all pretty 'heavyweight'
and entrain considerable setup for what I need, but I think the 'termios'
examples from _Advanced_Programming_in_a_UNIX_Environment, Ch.11, are
going to do fine. I only needed three files to build the raw-input example
(11.10). If I get into it, I'll fake a "conio.h" that exports a couple of
trivial activities.

Thanks again.

   John Mills
   Sr. Software Engineer