[ale] opinion on video cards

Danny Cox danny at compgen.com
Thu Jul 27 07:27:11 EDT 2000

Jeb,

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Mike Kachline wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Jeb W Barger wrote:
>
> > Anybody got any advice on a decent, cheap video cards
> > (AGP) that will work under RH6.2 and Win2K?
> <snip>
> 	Jeb,
>
> 	At work, I've got Dual headed display working on an AGP Voodoo3
> and PCI "number 9" using (a compiled, ie, not RH 6.2 "stock") XFree 4.0;
> so I would definately recommend the Voodoo3. At home I'm running a PCI
> Voodoo3 under Redhat 6.1, also with no problems.

	I have an AGP Voodoo 3 at home with SuSE 6.4, and it works
great!  The only anomilies I've noticed occurs in Quake 3 where the
floor (or wall) textures sometimes flicker between black and what
they're supposed to be.  This may be the driver, Quake 3 itself, or even
hardware.  Regardless, for all other uses, it's performed flawlessly,
and is quite fast!  Opaque window moves look fantastic, and
Enlightenment 'transparent' moves are great too.

	SuSE also includes the compiled 3dfx libraries and /dev/3dfx (or
whatever it's called), to allow regular users to access the
direct-to-card stuff.

	$cents += 2;

Danny