[ale] Hard drive image

sad at valinux.com sad at valinux.com
Wed Jul 19 11:45:45 EDT 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:01:03AM -0400, Gary S. Mackay wrote:
> I'm setting up another masq box for a client. Once I get it set the way I want
> it, how do I save a "copy" of that disk image? The next machine I setup would
> be just a quick image-to-disk and ready to go.

Take a look at systemsimager (www.systemsimager.org) as it is expressly
built for this purpose (and it's free & open source). In addition to being
able to quickly image a box from a saved golden image, you can also easily
update previously imaged boxes once they have rolled into service by making
careful changes to your golden image and then having the pre-existing
clients pull only the changed parts over on a file by file basis (i.e. you
don't have to re-image a whole pre-existing client to get it updated).
Steven A. DuChene	sad at valinux.com
Southeast US Systems Engineer
VA Linux Systems	http://www.valinux.com