[ale] Media One Internet Service

Scott Nolde smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
Mon Jul 17 22:34:27 EDT 2000

Byron A Jeff wrote:

> > Venky Narayanan wrote:
> > >
> > > All,
> > > I am planning to go for Media One Cable Internet Service soon. I have some
> > > doubts about it. Scene being...
> > > We have 4 computers home networked with a 5 port hub. I have a linux m/c
> > > (486dx2 16MB running Suse6.3).  I am in the process of setting up IP Masq in
> > > the linux m/c.
> > > We are planning to go for a Single IP Connection with Media One and Share
> > > the Bandwidth with all the computers with Linux Box (486) as gateway.
> > > When I talked to Media One they said that we need to get Multiple IP for
> > > this and they said they don't support Linux.
> > > Have anyone done anything like this.
> > >
> > > TIA,
> > > Venky
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > I can neither conform nor deny their misinformation.  You can get Linux
> > to work just fine as a gateway on their service.  They bind the MAC
> > address of the primary NIC to the cable modem so only that one 'machine'
> > will work.  If you have a windows box, set it up with a NIC to use DHCP
> > and away you go.
>
> This is correct.
>

> > After M1 verifies that the install works on Windows/NT/MAC computer
> > you're free to do what you wish.  Move the NIC to the gateway computer
> > (or specify the MAC address in the ifcfg file) and you're home free.
>
> This is also correct. But the important thing to understand is that M1 will
> not support anything other than a single machine running Windows/Mac
> connected to the cable modem. That means that if you call with a question
> or an issue, or have them come out, then you need to have a single windows/
> Mac box connected to the modem while they service. They simply don't have
> the technical support staff to handle issues of Linux, masquerading, or
> multiple boxes connected to the cable modem.
>
> During my install the disk that I borrowed with Windows crashed. The M1
> tech fully intended to leave without verifying the correct operation of
> the modem (due to a mis-input MAC address by the previous Tech). I convinced
> them to configure the modem so that it synced up. 5 minutes after they
> left I had my Linux gateway up and running.
>

> > What you envision is entirely possible.  M1 is having difficulties with
> > their system today, but for about 8 months it's been rock solid.  I've
> > been able to get sustained download speeds at T1 speeds (depending on
> > the site).  YMMV.
>
> I have this exact setup. It only requires one IP. I have 2 cards in my gateway
> but it could be done with one using IP aliasing. It all works fine.
>
> So to summarize. Yes you can do it. No M1 will not support it. It only requires
> a single IP and the NIC card that M1 configures. You must have a windows/Mac
> box available for the install but after that you may attach anything you like.
>
> E-mail me if you have any other questions/issues.
>
> BAJ

I've got several friends asking me to set up such an arrangement.  Their
first step, however, is to take the plunge into Linux.  After they see
how simple the gateway setup is, they're hooked on the concept and won't
pay a dime for software again.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  smnoldelinux at mediaone.net
glaze!                       |