[ale] Media One Internet Service

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Mon Jul 17 12:40:13 EDT 2000

Venky Narayanan wrote:

> All,
> I am planning to go for Media One Cable Internet Service soon. I have some
> doubts about it. Scene being...
> We have 4 computers home networked with a 5 port hub. I have a linux m/c
> (486dx2 16MB running Suse6.3).  I am in the process of setting up IP Masq in
> the linux m/c.
> We are planning to go for a Single IP Connection with Media One and Share
> the Bandwidth with all the computers with Linux Box (486) as gateway.
> When I talked to Media One they said that we need to get Multiple IP for
> this and they said they don't support Linux.

Meaning, "We want you to PAY for multiple IPs whether you use them
or not" (and you won't if you use IP masqerading), and "We don't
know s**t abount Linux", respectively. It's all BS.

IIRC, several people on this list are using Linux as a masq gateway
for Media One service. I'll let them fill you in on the details,
but a strategy I've used for other cable providers is to let their
install tech install their stuff on a Windows box, then shoo him
out the door and copy the networking settings over to my masq
firewall. No problem.

IMHO, if you're paying for 1Mb/s of bandwidth, it is none of
M1's business whether that bandwidth is used by one machine
or fifty.

-- Joe