[ale] Old PC's

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Mon Jul 17 16:26:39 EDT 2000

I have been frequently haunting Micro Seconds on Roswell Road (they have
another location but I dunno where) for just that reason.  It's best if you
go often because things change frequently.  I picked up a Compaq P/75
recently there for $120 in order to appease the NetMAX Firewall/Router
software (which I can't exactly recommend at this point - I got it to work
for a while but it started breaking down and now I can't even get it to
install).

You might have to look very carefully for machines that are as generic as
they can possibly be.  This Compaq (Prolinea 575e, BTW) has something weird
about its IDE controller (the NetMAX firewall software consistently
partitions the drive such that partition boundaries are falling between
cylinder boundaries) that I am trying to get around now.

If you go to Micro Seconds, do insist on examining the machine carefully for
unusual parts before proceeding, as their policy is no refunds (store credit
or exchange only).

- Jeff