[ale] OT: MD5 checksums & math

Robert Butera rbutera at ece.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 17 15:09:55 EDT 2000

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Randy Janinda wrote:

> Not for the meek hearted:
>
> Let me try to explain this request.
>
> I have four images. I know the md5sum of three of them and I want to
> predict the md5sum of the fourth.
>
> Here's the facts:
>
> ImageA is the same as ImageB except on minor addition to ImageB (we'll
> call this addition X).
>
> md5sums:
>
> ImageA = c76ada9f51c10ee6ccbc9bccd2e05358
> ImageB = 53485d8e8171766b533d13d2df0ffa97 (ImageA + X)
> ImageC = b64a84171c956e14aab561b1545cbc70
>
> Now assuming ImageD has the same exact addition as ImageB (the X
> factor) can I predict the md5sum by adding that "X" factor to ImageC?
>
> ImageD = ImageC + X

Definitely not for the weak!

Looking at the MD5sum algorithm at

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1321.txt

I would "guess" that the answer is no. It is nowhere near as straigtforward
as a checksum algorithm.

However, it _might_ be _possible_ to describe some sort of "transformation"
from image A to image B that could then be applied to image C to get image
D.  It would also be a lot of work to derive such an operation.  This
is something you'd have to consult someone with a serious degree of
mathematical knowledge in either cyptography or communications -- they
know how to at least tackle such problems.

Robert Butera, Assistant Professor
Institute for Bioengineering and Biosciences
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332-0363 USA
--> http://www.ece.gatech.edu/users/rbutera/