[ale] Ethernet / DSL help...

da Black Baron wyldechylde at geocities.com
Thu Jul 13 12:24:23 EDT 2000

> Would you care to tell us which distribution you are running??

Slackware 7.1.   :o)   Got it fixed now, though.  Turns out there was something
wrong with my etherlink III card, so I switched it with another PCI card I
had, and now everything's hunky-dory.

> Incidentally, GATEWAY should only be ndefined in ONE place
> you've got TWO "default" routes...

Noted.  I just decided today (after getting the two boxes talking, and after a
bit of experimentation, connected to the net as well) to simply use the
"ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up -arp" line suggested by the docs instead of the
script in the default file.

For anyone who may be having simular troubles, let me say it seems you have to
configure your local net card AFTER starting your pppoe connection (at least
with bellsouth) if you want to talk to both nets.  :o)

In other words, the ifconfig line, the start-pppoe command, and THEN the inet1
script- which I've moved to rc.local for the time being.  There may be other,
better ways, but this is working... :o)

> (P.S: use 'netstat -rn' to see routes in numeric form) >

Also noted.  Many thanks for the help!