[ale] ipchains question

Stephen Lastinger steve at computernetdesign.com
Thu Jul 13 12:49:58 EDT 2000

Gary,

     Thanks.  It was where the port # was placed that did the trick.  I
guess I'd just been staring at the dern thing too long.

     ...and Justin, it's not sneaky ; ) .  It's what the client
(management) wants.  From my understanding, the various dept. heads have
already spoken to numerous employees about the issue several times and
had to take it to mgt.

*hands Justin back $.18 change for his $.02*  : P

-Stephen

Gary Maltzen wrote:

> I assume 192.168.0.254 is the 'surfer' you are trying to block?
> Port 80 is the port on the WEB server.
>
> You need to block the LOCAL address and REMOTE port
>
> SURFER = 192.168.0.254
> ANY = 0.0.0.0
> HTTP = 80
> # block outbound surfing
> ipchains -A input -i eth1 -s ${SURFER} -d ${ANY} ${HTTP} -j DENY -l

[..snip..]