[ale] disk copy

sad at valinux.com sad at valinux.com
Thu Jul 13 09:49:37 EDT 2000

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 08:09:29AM -0400, Carl Forsell wrote:
> I have a SuSE6.4 based proxy machine that is working fine... so well in
> fact, that the boss wants two identical copies (one copy of the hard drive
> to go into another machine and one to sit on the shelf).
>
> Is there an easy way to make an exact copy of the IDE harddrive on a linux
> box?

Take a look at http://systemimager.org

The basic idea behind VA SystemImager is to suck the entire system image from
a "master" client to an "imageserver" (the imageserver is the machine where
you install this software).  This image can then be replicated to any number
of client systems you want configured in the same way.

Once your client systems have had the initial image replicated to them,
they can be updated/upgraded by syncing them to an updated image on the
image server.  During an update, only modified files are pulled to the client.
This makes for a fast, efficient, and accurate mass update.

This second part is really the important part because it allows you to easily
keep the various client systems in sync rather than you having to manually do
this with either rpms or modifying individual files on each client system by
hand (can be very tedious if there are lots of little changes over time).
Steven A. DuChene	sad at valinux.com
Southeast US Systems Engineer
VA Linux Systems	http://www.valinux.com