[ale] Open-Source Java Engines

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Wed Jul 12 16:15:04 EDT 2000

BHa at ixl.com wrote:

> Great!
>
> Are your running it under multiserver, Tomcat, or Tomcat/Apache?

MultiServer.

> What database are you using? MySQL, PostgressSQL, or Oracle?  How
> do you like DODS?

Oracle. DODS is really two tightly integrated pieces.  There's the
generated java code(1), and the GUI that genereates .DOML file used to
generate the java code(2).  (1) is pretty good.  It's still growing and
evolving, but it works very well overall.  You have be willing to accept
that Object modeling on RDBs has a cost, but if you do, it works fine.
(2) is fair at best.  It really needs a lot of work, but it is scheduled
for a rewrite I've heard.

> Have you also used Kelp in your Java development environment?

Yes.  It helps TREMENDOUSLY to be able to use JBuilder.  We don't have
maintain makefiles.  It has a lot MORE that could be done, but it works
well.

dcorbin at machturtle.com