[ale] GNU info

John Mills jmills at tga.com
Wed Jul 12 10:03:13 EDT 2000

Joe and ALErs -

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Joe Knapka wrote:

> Are there any hardcore "info" users out there? I have a
> giant pile of gzipped info files on my machine, which I'd
> love to be able to read. But I have to say, if "info"
> wants to be a replacement for man pages, it's got to
> be a lot more convenient to use.
[...]
> So does anyone know if there's an automated way to index
> a directory full of info files in a way that makes them
> usable? Or at least a way to point info at a file and
> have it just display the first node it finds?

I have made much more use of 'info' files since moving to RH6.x with the
Gnome 'help' browser (a _Good_Thing_[TM]). Excellent 'info' is available
on a lot of packages (c.f. CVS and GCC). "Info" serves a quite different
need for me than traditional 'man' pages because of its content emphasis.

Simple inclusion and indexing of new 'info' files into the browser's view
would be very nice for 'softcore' "info" users like me.

   John Mills
   Sr. Software Engineer
   TGA Technologies, Inc.
   100 Pinnacle Way, Suite 140