[ale] GNU info

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Tue Jul 11 21:35:23 EDT 2000

Hello, folks,

Are there any hardcore "info" users out there? I have a
giant pile of gzipped info files on my machine, which I'd
love to be able to read. But I have to say, if "info"
wants to be a replacement for man pages, it's got to
be a lot more convenient to use.

For example, if I just start "info", I get some useful
stuff, but nothing like the whole list of documentation
available in my /usr/info directory. I can start info
with a particular filename (eg "info automake.info.gz"),
to which info invariably responds, "Cannot find node Top",
and then I have to unzip the bloody automake.info.gz file
to find the name of a node in it.

So does anyone know if there's an automated way to index
a directory full of info files in a way that makes them
usable? Or at least a way to point info at a file and
have it just display the first node it finds?

TIA,

-- Joe Knapka