Fw: [ale] Building Linux manually

Joe Knapka jknapka at charter.net
Mon Jul 10 10:19:58 EDT 2000

The easy way is to just use LILO on the HD's MBR. LILO
should work fine even on ancient, decrepit systems. If
you don't want to use LILO for some reason, then you can
do this (which I haven't done yet, but will try later
today on a throwaway HD):

(1) Create a very small (1MB) /dev/hda1 partition and dd your
kernel zImage to that. (The kernel has to occupy a separate
partition from any filesystem, since it's just a string of
bytes, not a collection of logical filesystem blocks - the
kernel partition doesn't contain a filesystem at all.)
(2) Create a /dev/hda2 partition for your actual filesystem
and populate it with whatever software you need.
(3) Ensure that the dd'd kernel image will mount /dev/hda2 as /
(using rdev, or else just build it that way).
(4) Mark the /dev/hda1 partition "bootable" in fdisk.

This scheme will probably not work unless you have a
standard DOS MBR on the HD (I'm pretty sure that
booting a "bootable" partition normally requires this).

-- Joe