[ale] BIND help

michael d. ivey ivey at gweezlebur.com
Mon Jul 10 10:06:36 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 10:02:55AM -0400, David Corbin wrote:
> I'm getting the following error on several of my domains (in the log
> file):
>
> Zone "csol.com" (file /etc/bind/csol.com): No default TTL set using SOA
> minimum instead
>
> Here is the SOA record fo this domain.  It sure looks like there is a
> TTL to me.
>
> csol            IN      SOA     nsx.corvusware.com. dcorbin at csol.com. (
>                 2000071001 10800 3600 604800 86400 )

This sets the minimum TTL...which BIND is using as a default TTL.  From
http://www.nominum.com/resources/bind-faq.html#nottl
we have the following:

> I'm getting an error: No default TTL set using SOA minimum instead.
>
> Since BIND 8.2, you need a $TTL directive to set the default TTL for
> the zone. Add a '$TTL XXXXXX' directive prior to the SOA record for the
> zone. (XXXXXX denotes the default TTL in seconds.)

What you're doing is normal.  BIND uses the minimum TTL as a default,
but as of BIND 8.2, it tells you that it's doing that, and offers a
means of setting a real default that is different from the minimum.

--
michael d. ivey        [McQ] : "Gravity is a harsh mistress."
   <ivey at gweezlebur.com>     :                              -- The Tick

 PGP signature