[ale] Memory > 64 M

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Mon Jul 10 09:00:52 EDT 2000

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 05:34:52AM -0700, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Try:

>   boot:  Linux mem=95M

> if that fails try:

>   boot:  Linux mem=90M

	Why not try 96M?

	The one thing missing here is how much memory was added.  An "odd"
number of Meg doesn't make sense.  97Meg certainly doesn't make sense.
That would require added an additional 32Meg plus another 1Meg???  I don't
think so.

> I know, it's kinda ridiculous....

	Not rediculous, but lets try the correct value first.

> -Jim P.
>

> --- Armsby John-G16665 <John.Armsby at motorola.com> wrote:
> > I upgraded my memory on the Pentium II box I have.  I have RedHat
> > 5.1(2.0.35).  I read that I have to pass the memory parameter at
> > boot. I
> > have tried the following, both failed.  The PC locked up during
> > initial
> > start up right about when it is accessing the file system.

> > boot:  Linux mem=97M		Failed.

	97M makes no sense.  Why would you have 97M in a box?  I'll
bet that it's really 96M (the memory test may roll into 97,???,???
bytes but a Meg [in this case] is really multiples of 1024*1024).
If you have 96M and tell it 97M it's going to toast itself by rolling
into that 1Meg in never never land.

  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/